Re: [css3-background] 'background-size: auto auto' and images with intrinsic size in one dimension

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 10:37:10 +1000
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "Boris Zbarsky (bzbarsky@MIT.EDU)" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On 9/08/2011 8:04 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Brian Manthos<brianman@microsoft.com>  wrote:
>> Please submit some test cases on this.  Because it's gone well beyond simple at this point.
> The CSS2.1 testsuite somewhat tests this already in
> <http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/background-intrinsic-006.htm>,
> though it's limited by the lack of background-size, which wasn't
> introduced until B&B.  For example, Chrome fails this for silly
> reasons - we first size the viewport to be 40%/60% of the background
> canvas, then size the<svg>  to be 40%/60% of the viewport bounds.
> This will be tested thoroughly by the B&B testsuite, when it's
> written.  Would you like a few impromptu testcases now?
> ~TJ

I can provide some of these test or test that can be rewritten for the
test suite. I was intending of demonstrating the bug in WebKit (not just
Chrome) about sizing the background-image svg to the viewport instead of
the background canvas since it breaks when certain background properties
are transitioned. This is why WebKit handles the below test wrong.

The sizing works correctly in Gecko with transitioning. The sizing works
correctly in Opera 11.50 (Opera 11.11 was buggy) and IE10 but with no

I have further test with various heights or widths given in both pixel
and percentages for the SVGs.

Alan Gresley