Re: [css3-images] Resolving on gradient issues

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Brad Kemper:
>> Then if the only reason to hold it back is because of the keyword
>> disagreement, then I will be much happier to just accept the
>> silly-sounding "downward rightward" syntax for corners, and
>> just privately shake my head in disappointment every time I
>> have to type it.
>
> Though I'd prefer to just remove the ward suffice (going back to my original proposal), I can live with that.
>
> Also I'd prefer "[leftward | rightward] || [downward | upward]" be the order in the grammar for serialization reasons.  But that can wait for another day.
>
> If you ask me two weeks from now (i.e. we haven't moved on), I might withdraw my consent though.
>
> What are the editors thoughts on this compromise?

I'm fairly against having "downward rightward" be a thing.  That's
ugly and bad.  I would greatly prefer "top left to bottom right",
despite it being a little longer.  Or "toward bottom right", whatever.

I would prefer to not address magic corner gradients at all right now.
 I believe the issues are more subtle than you guys are letting on,
and could use more thought to make sure they work well and cleanly.  I
mean, we went from "this is how corner gradients work" to "omg, *that*
is how corner gradients work" over the course of, like, a day.  How do
we know there aren't more things we might want to do?  For example,
going back to explicitly defining the startpoint and endpoint of the
gradient-line.  As well, there are two distinct and very different
ways of achieving the magic corner gradient that I know of (adjust the
angle, or do the entire thing in objectBoundingBox coords scale).  I
would like time to evaluate which is actually best.

I do not want to hold up unprefixing current gradients while I resolve
the above.