RE: [css3-images] Resolving on gradient issues

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 17:45:30 +0000
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Brad Kemper:
> That is a slanted way of characterizing it. The way I see it,
> 'repeating-linear-gradient' is a way of simulating 'background-repeat'
> on a possibly rotated canvas. background-repeat can already create a
> repeating gradient (it just doesn't look good when the gradient path is
> angled).

Background-repeat has a specific meaning and capabilities.

Let's not distort the meaning of background-repeat to include "if the <image> is gradient, then adjust the used background-size, apply a transform to that layer of background image rendering, and change the gradient brush such that ...".

If you want to making 'repeat'/'no-repeat' a parameter of linear-gradient or radial-gradient (rather than a different function name), that's a reasonable proposal.

But let's not do bizarre things with background-repeat.