RE: [css] Proposal: making Shorthand Hex Colors even shorter (16 grayscale shades)

From: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 20:35:26 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Markus Bruch <macinfo@arcor.de>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
/confused

Let's see if I can get this straight.

You're opposed to 2 digit expansion because it follows a different pattern.

But you're ok with 1 digit expansion which is a degenerate flavor of 2 digit expansion's pattern.

Ok....

All that said (though certainly not sorted out), I don't think either #H or #HH are worthwhile *yet*.

Current 3 digit expansion expands characters within a color channel.  The proposed 1 and 2 digit expansions expand characters *across* color channels.  That seems like a step in the wrong direction w/r/t complexity.

What should 4 digit expansion do?  Should it expand characters in both ways (same channel and across channels)?  I think we can agree on a strong "No!" at such chaos.

What I *would* like to see considered is using 4 digit and 8 digit syntax as an alternative to rgba().  Supporting any flavor of 1, 2, 4, or 5 digit syntax *before* addressing support for RGBA seems like a paint-your-self-in-a-corner exercise.