Re: [css] Proposal: making Shorthand Hex Colors even shorter (16 grayscale shades)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 13:22:51 -0700
To: Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>
Cc: Markus Bruch <macinfo@arcor.de>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Tab:
>> I am strongly opposed to a 2-[hexa]digit variant, because it has a different expansion rule than the 3-digit hex that already exists.
>
> Doesn't the 1-hexadigit representation have the same concern (different expansion rule than 3-digit hex)?

Not really.  The 3-digit hex works by duplicating each digit in-place.
 The 1-digit hex would sextuple the single digit in-place.  (One could
also argue that 1-digit hex uses the same expansion rule as 2-digit
hex, and one would be right.  It's a degenerate case.)

2-digit hex, if it used the same expansion rule, would expand #12 into
#111222 (which is obviously useless).