[css3-speech] voice-volume

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 00:00:11 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
voice-volume

# silent, x-soft, soft, medium, loud, and x-loud
#    A sequence of monotonically non-decreasing volume levels.
#    The value of ‘silent’ is mapped to ‘0’ and ‘x-loud’ is
#    mapped to ‘100’. The mapping of other values to numerical
#    volume levels is implementation-dependent and may vary
#    from one speech synthesizer to another.

Because this definition doesn't map 'medium' to anything, it
makes it near-impossible for an author to use the absolute
values, assuming 'medium' (and not 'x-loud') is user's
preferred volume and the author intends to use that as the
baseline volume. Afaict, it's unlikely that the absolute
scale can be used for anything other than fading from x-loud
to silence.

Percentages are tricky, because due to nesting, it's not
possible to reference against 'medium', which I assume in
most cases is what you'd want to do, right?

It seems to me that what an author would really need is a
scale that varies between "softest audible", "loudest
tolerable", and "preferred volume", where each of these are
set by the listener. The keywords give you that scale, but
there are only 5 points on this scale, as opposed to infinite
on the absolute scale, which strikes me as less useful in
general...

I'm having a hard time understanding how the capabilities
of this property would be used, but I suspect it's not matching
the authoring story very well. Perhaps you could explain how
voice-volume values other than the keywords would be used?

~fantasai