RE: [css3-lists] Feature requests

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:59:43 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

[Tab Atkins:]
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
> > As an author, I would like the possibility to declare how many digits
> > a list can have. An example of a <OL> with four digits.
> >

> > 0001 <li> ... </li>
> > 0002 <li> ... </li>
> >
> >      up to
> >
> > 9999 <li> ... </li>
>
> This is doable with an alphabetic style if you're willing to play around
> with the list value.  If you take the 'decimal' style and switch it to
> alphabetic, you get "0001" at value 1111, and the next 10k values all have
> 4 digits in the appropriate order.

Is this obvious ? Should it be only possible as an alphabetic style hack ?

In fairness, many of the instances I have seen do involve government
documents which have other stuff prefixing the number e.g. <identifier>-000X
(e.g. the ISN numbers in the WikiLeaks Gitmo files) but it otherwise seems
a reasonable scenario for number lists. Some examples in the wild wouldn't
hurt though.