Re: [css3-lists] Feature requests

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:10:15 -0700
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [Tab Atkins:]
>> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
>> > As an author, I would like the possibility to declare how many digits
>> > a list can have. An example of a <OL> with four digits.
>> >

>> > 0001 <li> ... </li>
>> > 0002 <li> ... </li>
>> >
>> >      up to
>> >
>> > 9999 <li> ... </li>
>>
>> This is doable with an alphabetic style if you're willing to play around
>> with the list value.  If you take the 'decimal' style and switch it to
>> alphabetic, you get "0001" at value 1111, and the next 10k values all have
>> 4 digits in the appropriate order.
>
> Is this obvious ? Should it be only possible as an alphabetic style hack ?

No, it's not particularly obvious unless you've already thought about
it.  An example would be good.  If it seems worthwhile, I can add
another type to cover this explicitly.  I guess it would be identical
to numeric, except that it would take a 'width' integer as well, and
pad the number with the 0 digit.

> In fairness, many of the instances I have seen do involve government
> documents which have other stuff prefixing the number e.g. <identifier>-000X
> (e.g. the ISN numbers in the WikiLeaks Gitmo files) but it otherwise seems
> a reasonable scenario for number lists. Some examples in the wild wouldn't
> hurt though.

Indeed, examples in the wild would be great.

~TJ