Re: [CSS21] url() parsing

From: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:03:05 +1000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On 23/04/2011 7:18 AM, fantasai wrote:
> I believe this testcase
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20110323/html4/uri-015.htm
>
> background: red U\r\4c ("support/swatch-green.png");
>
> is wrong according to the core grammar. But I'm not 100% sure...
> Also, we have three passes on the testcase. Do we want the testcase
> or the grammar to be right? (I think the grammar should be right
> in this case, making this pass probably does more harm than good.)
>
> ~fantasai

The pass condition is wrong, since there are no comma. WebKit drops the
whole declaration for two reasons. First it does not allow escapes in
'url' and secondly it does not allow whitespace between the url and
opening parenthesis 'url ('.

I believe that it should fail because having a keyword 'url' with an
optional whitespace before matching parenthesis does allow less value of
such decelerations (possible additions to CSS).

Something like this fails 'rgb (0,127,0)' but this parses 'rg\42 (0,127,0)'.

Out of interest IE7 parses this and show an image.

   background: red U\r\4c \28support/swatch-green.png\29;

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/