[css-selectors] Empty input selector

From: Rudolph Gottesheim <r.gottesheim@loot.at>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 22:00:56 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Assume the following page:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
             input[value=''] { background-color:#f00; }
</head>
<input value="test" />
<input value="" />

Why doesn't the second input turn red when you enter something? I assume
this is the expected behavior since all browsers (well, I tested Chrome
12, IE9 and IE10) behave the same. But is there a reason for that? Why
isn't there a pseudo class selector for form fields with an empty value?

One use case would be to remove the border from all input fields that
have a value so they look just like normal text and to add it back on
:hover and :focus. This way the screen would look less cluttered when
you have many input fields on a page. (If that's a good UI or not is
another question.. ;)