RE: [css3-lists] Remaining feedback on the module

From: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:00:49 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
On Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:39 AM Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 3:04 AM, Daniel Glazman
> <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
> > Le 20/04/11 01:55, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> >
> >> 7. Are Aegean (U+10107-10133), Shavian (U+10450-1047F), and Ugaritic
> >> (U+10380-1039D) things I should address?  I dunno if these are living
> >> or dead scripts.
> >

> > Aegean and Ugaritic are extinct. Scholars wanting to include sections
> > of a document using those scripts are not :-) But I never saw a list
> > numbered in Ugaritic on a tablet or anything else.
> > Apparently, Ugaritic numbers were usually written as words (3 =
> > "three").
> >
> > Aegean is more problematic since it does have glyphs for numbers and
> > those appeared in artifacts.
> >
> > Shavian is a recently constructed script for English. I have never
> > ever seen a live example of shavian script nor have I ever met anyone
> > able to write/read it.
>
> Okay, I was just checking if they were currently-living languages.
> Dead, scholarly, or constructed languages can be done by the author defining
> a @counter-style of their own.  I won't add them to the default style sheet,
> then.

I wouldn't get rid of them all together. Just put them in a non-normative section for reference. If some UA wants to add them they can. This would at least give a good starting point how the style would be formed. I would also put a note in that section that the scripts and the examples may not fully cover all the writing mode quirks since the scripts are ancient and/or extinct.

--
Thanks,
Arron Eicholz