Re: [css3-lists] Purpose of the module

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:46:29 -0700
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote:
> As you said, they were originally called "*-formal". I understand people would not use "$23.00" for numbering, but formal numbering style is used, not very often though.
>
> I wasn't aware the name were changed to "*-financial". It's okay if there were good reasons to do so, because people uses formal numbering style to write checks, so either name works for me.
>
> But it doesn't mean people would not use formal numbering styles for lists. It's taking opposite; the style is formal (or traditional I would say,) and is used not only for writing checks, but also for other purposes as well.
>
> My vote is to keep it, and keep the name "*-formal" as Mozilla has implemented[1][2].
>
> [1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/list-style-type
> [2] http://www.mail-archive.com/unicode@unicode.org/msg02988.html

Oh, I didn't realize those styles were actually used for normal
writing as well.  Based on my (limited, since I can only read English)
research, I'd thought the styles were pretty much just for writing
quantities of money and other types of numbers that you want to be
difficult to forge.

I can change them back to -formal, then.