RE: [css3-ui][html5] Form control orientation and styling

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 20:55:12 +0000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

[Ian Hickson:]
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> > [Ian Hickson:]

> > > A new value of the BECSS 'binding' property, e.g. a new XBL binding,
> > > that defines what the widget looks like, how it interacts, etc.
> >
> > So is your suggestion to implement support for XBL/BECSS ? If so I'd
> > like to consider solutions - if any - that do not require it.
>
> If the goal is being able to replace a widget with an entirely different
> look and feel, as in that example above, then we need some sort of widget
> binding language. Whether it's XBL, HTC, or something else entirely is an
> open question. But it's something we will eventually have to solve,
> because currently the Web platform simply has no good answer to the
> question of how to change a widget's look and feel (or indeed how to model
> the way a widget's look and feel is platform-specific).

I'm not sure why the use-case I presented requires the ability to *replace*
a widget. I think I can achieve the kind of look I alluded to with support for
background-image and the ability to do display:none on the pseudo-element(s
) showing tickmarks, for instance. Another example is WebKits support for a fair
amount of scrollbar customization in that manner[1].

But I certainly accept that there may be a whole range of use-cases beyond this
 for which simply defining pseudo-elements (many of which might remain platform
specific) may stop scaling. But then we're not just solving a relatively narrow
styling issue anymore.

Thanks for the clarification.

[1] http://www.webkit.org/blog/363/styling-scrollbars/