RE: [css3-ui][html5] Form control orientation and styling

[Boris Zbarsky:]
> > A property in CSS can be altered based on MQ, for example, so you can
> > reactively change the orientation of the slider.
>
> That's true, but the size could change due to things that MQ can't select
> on (font-size changes, say).  So if we're really trying to detect size
> changes then MQ just gives us an imperfect proxy.

Agreed. The scenario I'm really after is 'style the following vertical slider
controls this way' e.g. as you might want to do in a UA or user stylesheet.
An orientation property does not help with that. Yet, if the control has
pseudo-elements and CSS properties are physically oriented you need a way
to switch your style.

In other words I'd like to express something like:

input[type="range"]:horizontal {
}

input[type="range"]:vertical {
}

...without making :horizontal or :vertical depend on the width and height properties.
If that makes sense ?