Re: [css3-ui][html5] Form control orientation and styling

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> A property in CSS can be altered based on MQ, for example, so you can
>> reactively change the orientation of the slider.
>
> That's true, but the size could change due to things that MQ can't select on
> (font-size changes, say).  So if we're really trying to detect size changes
> then MQ just gives us an imperfect proxy.

Sorry, there's some miscommunication.  I had assumed that the point
was specifically that the slider *should not* change implicitly based
on sizing, but should instead always be an explicit choice.

My suggestion (to use a property to control the orientation) just
allows that explicit choice to be adjusted via CSS, so that, for
example, if an author wants a vertical slider in a desktop layout but
a horizontal in a mobile layout, they can do so.