Re: [css3-ui][html5] Form control orientation and styling

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:23:26 -0700
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> wrote:

>> A property in CSS can be altered based on MQ, for example, so you can
>> reactively change the orientation of the slider.
>
> That's true, but the size could change due to things that MQ can't select on
> (font-size changes, say).  So if we're really trying to detect size changes
> then MQ just gives us an imperfect proxy.

Sorry, there's some miscommunication.  I had assumed that the point
was specifically that the slider *should not* change implicitly based
on sizing, but should instead always be an explicit choice.

My suggestion (to use a property to control the orientation) just
allows that explicit choice to be adjusted via CSS, so that, for
example, if an author wants a vertical slider in a desktop layout but
a horizontal in a mobile layout, they can do so.