Need a better way to reach into the shadow DOM subtree

From: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 12:50:53 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Folks,

We really need to have a better way to address elements inside a
shadow DOM subtree. The pseudo-element doohickey is deficient,
because... well, it's a pseudo-element.

For example, WebKit's media controls implementation would get a whole
lot more elegant if I could specifically address the state of an
element from CSS:

video::-webkit-timeline:disabled { /* ... */ }

How do we fix this? Tab suggests a new combinator selector like:

video % timeline:disabled.

I like it. Who's with me and Tab? :)

:DG<