Re: Need a better way to reach into the shadow DOM subtree

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 14:59:11 -0500
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>
On Apr 11, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

> video::-webkit-timeline:disabled { /* ... */ }
>
> How do we fix this? Tab suggests a new combinator selector like:

Just keep using pseudo-elements, but lift all the silly restrictions placed on them, e.g., that they have to be the rightmost selector.  The issue isn't with pseudo-elements.  The issue is with the restrictions placed on pseudo-element usage that don't need to be there.

Note that WebKit already has its own pseudo-element extensions that deliberately violate this rule, e.g., all of the scrollbar parts, which support states like hover/active/disabled using rules just like what you've described above.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)