Re: [css3-text] Hanging punctuation for Roman (was script-specific functionality

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 01:45:38 -0400
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, HŚkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
2011/4/8 Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>:
> I keep getting messages saying hanging punctuation on the end-edge (right for LTR) is used in Latin scripts, and then other people saying it's incorrect and it should be removed. Currently I take the later as that's what Wikipedia's picture[1] indicates, but the feature is still there for East Asian typography.
>
> I tried In Design but it doesn't seem to support Roman type hanging punctuation. As far as I tried, it allows East Asian type hanging punctuation only. It does support optical margin alignment though.
>
> Does In Design support this? If so, can you tell me how?

It is correct that InDesign does not seem to support this (for
whatever mysterious reason). But it can be easily done in Illustrator.

And this is partly why I oppose using Wordís behaviour as a model for
anything. These software only capture what their programmers know (or
rather believe they know). They canít do a lot of things. And
sometimes they can do something but itís done wrong. As CJK people we
should all know this very well.

(An aside: I once manually added dozens of punctuation marks to a
whole page of text because I wanted to reproduce the old ruby-like
style of setting punctuation marks. Illustrator just canít do it no
matter how hard I tried, so I just did the whole thing by hand, by
positioning each punctuation mark individually. But does this style
exist? Sure itís archaic, but the style certainly exists. Books using
this style of punctuation are even still in print.)
--
cheers,
-ambrose

my thoughts on HTML5: http://goo.gl/vhv5F + http://goo.gl/leonq