From: Alan Stearns [mailto:stearns@adobe.com]
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 2:00 PM
To: Koji Ishii; Håkon Wium Lie; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css3-text] script-specific functionality

On 4/7/11 8:51 PM, "Koji Ishii" <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp> wrote:

>> About the 'hanging-puctuation' property:
>>
>>  - it seems that an ending quote cannot hang?
>
> Correct. See the picture at Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_punctuation
> If you have use case for an ending quote to hang, I'd be happy to know.

This may be the case for CJK, but in Roman type hanging punctuation can include quote marks and other punctuation at the ends of lines. The spec at the moment says that "at most one punctuation character may hang," but there are many examples of a quote ending in a period or comma where both period and end quote are hung outside the right edge.

Thanks,

Alan