Re: The Unwanted Effect of XBL Shadow DOM Elements on Layout

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:20:22 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 4/7/11 8:43 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> We have also run into this problem in our discussion of
> XBL2/Component use-cases, and in fact already use essentially this
> concept in our Component implementation - the root of a shadow tree is
> implemented as an element, but it doesn't appear in the box tree.

That's quite different from the problem Lachlan is talking about.  What
you're saying is that the root of the shadow tree does not appear in the
final flattened tree at all, which is true.  What Lachlan wants is
things that appear in the final flattened tree but do not generate boxes
of their own; their children's boxes are just placed in their parent
instead.

-Boris