Re: CIE color definitions in CSS3 color module

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 7:29 AM, Alexis Shaw <alexis.shaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish to propose the following types of color definitions.
> A CIE XYZ color definition.
> xyz(x, y, z) where x, y and z are the floating point values of the CIE 1931
> XYZ color space
> along with the corresponding
> xyza(x, y, z, a)
> A CIE xyY color definition.
> xyy(x, y, Y) where x, y, and Y are the floating point values of the CIE 1931
> xyY color space.
> along with a corresponding
> xyya(x, y, Y, a)
> a CIELUV color definition
> luv(L*, u*, v*, white_point) where L, u, v are the floating point values in
> the CIELUV colorspace. the white point term will be defined below.
> along with the
> luva(L*, u*, v*, white_point, a)
> A CIELAB color definition
> lab(L*, a* , b*, white_point) where L*, a*, b* are the floating point values
> in the CIELAB colorspace, white point defined below.
> The LAB and LUV colorspaces take a white point as a parameter this may be
> one of the following values.
> One of the CIE standard illuminates
> A, B, C, D50, D55, D65, D75, F1-12,
> the following common illuminants
> UL_3000, TL80, A_T8
> the following black body format.
> xxxxxK
> or a custom white point defined by an @whitepoint rule.

Returning to the core of the issue; what's the use-case for these new
ways of defining a color?  I know that various other color definitions
*exist*, but I don't understand what they're used for, or if they're
useful for the web.  Could you elaborate on this?

Note, as well, that CSS generally assumes that colors exist in the
sRGB colorspace, and defines interpolation for things like transitions
and gradients in terms of that space.