RE: [css3-fonts] @font-face matching and font-style descriptor

From: Sergey Malkin <sergeym@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 00:08:50 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
>> Consider following example:
>>
>> @font-face {
>>  font-family: MyFont1;
>>  src: local(Arial);
>> }
>>
>> @font-face {
>>  font-family: MyFont2;
>>  src: local(Arial);
>>  font-style:normal;
>> }
>>
>> Will following two lines be rendered identically? They will both use regular Arial face. But will each of them be allowed to use generated oblique font?

> Yes, they will be identical in every way.

This is what bothers me. This answer means simulated styles will never be used even if just single font is defined (like MyFont1 above). I do not think this is what Web developers would expect. This is different from people's experience with fonts installed locally and I want it to work with linked fonts too. I do not know how to address this in the spec, maybe we should distinguish between "not specified" and "normal" case.

Thanks,
Sergey