Re: [css3-fonts] @font-face matching and font-style descriptor

From: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:32:22 -0700
To: Sergey Malkin <sergeym@microsoft.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org, www-font <www-font@w3.org>
Sergey Malkin wrote:

> This is what bothers me. This answer means simulated styles will never be used even if just single font is defined (like MyFont1 above). I do not think this is what Web developers would expect. This is different from people's experience with fonts installed locally...

If I understand you correctly, I think I would want to nuance this by
saying 'different from people's experience with fonts installed locally
in some applications'. Professional design apps such as Adobe's do not
employ simulated styles except when explicitly activated by the user. In
such apps, the absence of an Italic font means no italic, not a
simulated italic, and in my opinion as a typographer that is vastly
preferable to what apps like Word do, mutilating typefaces in numerous
ways with simulated styles, even for single fonts that were never meant
to be italic'd or bold'd.

John Hudson