RE: [css3-fonts] @font-face Name {descriptor: value}

My understanding is that user agents first check whether the family
name is generic before looking for matching against @font-face and
system fonts. In section 5 [1]:

# 2.If the family name is a generic family name, the user agent looks up
# the appropriate font family name to be used. User agents may choose the
# generic font family to use based on the language of the containing element
# or the Unicode range of the character. The user agent attempts to find the
# family name among fonts defined via @font-face rules and then among available
# system fonts.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/#font-matching-algorithm