[css3-fonts] @font-face Name {descriptor: value}

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:55:14 +0200
To: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/#font-face-rule>

The ‘@font-face’ at-rule uses the ‘font-family’ descriptor to set the identifier which can be used in ‘font-family’ properties elsewhere in the cascading stylesheets. The current draft does not say whether generic family keywords can be overwritten this way.

Other at-rules, e.g. ‘@page’, ‘@keyframes’, ‘@media’ and perhaps more, put the identifier (string or keyword) outside the curly braces. There it can potentially be followed by special pseudo classes. (‘@import’, ‘@charset’, ‘@namespace’ have no ruleset in curly braces.)

I know it’s not an easy change and maybe the benefits are limited, but could we add

  @font-face Foo {bar: baz}

and, at the same time, deprecate

  @font-face {font-family: Foo; bar: baz;}?