Re: [css3-images] Gradients feedback

From: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:49:31 -0700
Cc: Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>, Philippe Wittenbergh <ph.wittenbergh@l-c-n.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
On Sep 10, 2010, at 8:01 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com> wrote:
>> I see what BZ means. Almost the entire length of the gradient is
>> semi-opaque. It seems to become more transparent at an even rate. I myself
>> would like what is currently happening for some cases. Here is an example.
>>
>> <http://css-class.com/test/css/colors/gradient-test1.htm>
>>
>> It would look different if the gradients were premultiplied.
>
> Right, it would look different.  The point is that it would look
> *better* in most situations.

I think we should strive for consistency here with:'
* SVG gradients
* color transitions

In the latter case, if I have a horizontal gradient, and I run a transition on 'left' and 'background-color' of a child element over the top, the background-color of that child should match the color of the portion of the gradient it is over.

We've already decided to use premultiplied colors for transitions. FWIW.

Simon