Re: [css4-color] #RGBA

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 7:36 PM, Patrick Garies
<w3c.www-style@patrick.garies.name> wrote:
> On 2010-09-06 1:38 PM, Molly E. Holzschlag wrote:
>>
>> So even if there were a way to shorthand HSL it doesn't make sense from
>> a design standpoint to do so. It's a shorthand in and of itself.
>
> While I don’t think an |#RGB|‐ or |#RRGGBB|‐like syntax is a good idea for
> HSL (as Brian apparently suggested), I can see a good reason from a “design
> standpoint” to abbreviate the HSL syntax further. As someone who uses
> all‐gray or nearly all‐gray palettes, I find it to be somewhat tedious and
> messy to have to use |hsl(<H>, <S>, <L>)| when the first two arguments are
> completely irrelevant.
>
> Something like |hsl(<L>)| or |l(<L>)| where the hue and saturation are
> assumed to be zero (and which I’ve previously proposed as |rgb(<RGB>)| for
> the same reasons) would make this easier.

If you're using an all-gray palette, I don't think it's very taxing to
say hsl(0,0%,<gray%>).  Not as terse as possible, but pretty good.

If we were to specifically address the use-case of "make creating gray
colors as terse as possible", I'd just create a gray() function that
took a percentage.  That's much clearer than some single-argument
version of rgb() or hsl().