Re: [css4-color] #RGBA

From: Patrick Garies <w3c.www-style@patrick.garies.name>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:36:45 -0500
To: mollyh@opera.com
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Brian Manthos <brianman@microsoft.com>, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
On 2010-09-06 1:38 PM, Molly E. Holzschlag wrote:
> So even if there were a way to shorthand HSL it doesn't make sense from
> a design standpoint to do so. It's a shorthand in and of itself.

While I don’t think an |#RGB|‐ or |#RRGGBB|‐like syntax is a good idea
for HSL (as Brian apparently suggested), I can see a good reason from a
“design standpoint” to abbreviate the HSL syntax further. As someone who
uses all‐gray or nearly all‐gray palettes, I find it to be somewhat
tedious and messy to have to use |hsl(<H>, <S>, <L>)| when the first two
arguments are completely irrelevant.

Something like |hsl(<L>)| or |l(<L>)| where the hue and saturation are
assumed to be zero (and which I’ve previously proposed as |rgb(<RGB>)|
for the same reasons) would make this easier.