Re: Question on clear applying to run-ins

On 01/15/2010 07:45 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> Section 9.5.2 says:
>
> For run-in boxes, this property applies to the final block box to
> which the run-in box belongs.
>
> What does that mean exactly? Is the block supposed to clear whatever the
> run-in would clear (in addition to whatever the block itself clears)? Or
> is this just saying that the block is the right block formatting context
> for the run-in's clearance? Or something else?

The WG believes that the intent is to apply 'clear' to the run-in itself,
if it turns into a block, else to the block that contains it, if it turns
into an inline.

Proposed changes to make this clearer, I suggest changing the above quoted
sentence to:

   | For a run-in element that is rendered as an 'inline' element,
   | this property applies to the block box that contains it.

where run-in elements that are rendered as 'display: block' are covered
under the current "Applies to:" line given the new text for 9.2.3

(which I will now quote below, since it is unpublished)

   # 9.2.3 Run-in boxes
   #
   # A run-in element (or pseudo-element) A behaves as follows:
   #
   #    1. If A has any children that inhibit run-in behavior (see below),
   #       then A is rendered as if it had 'display: block'.
   #    2. Let B be the first of A's following siblings that is neither
   #       floating nor absolutely positioned nor has 'display: none'. If
   #       B exists and has a specified value for 'display' of 'block' or
   #       'list-item' and is not replaced, then A is rendered as an
   #       'inline' element at the start of B's principal box. Note: A is
   #       rendered before B's ':before' pseudo-element, if any. See 12.1.
   #    3. Otherwise, A is rendered as if it had 'display: block'.

~fantasai