Re: [css4-color] #RGBA

Patrick Garies wrote:
>  On 2010-09-06 12:43 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>  This needs to be cleared up, actually.  It's not at all clear what
>>  the actual requirements are around the first argument.  The prose
>>  just says that the deg unit is "implied".
>
> After being informed that things are defined in terms of CSS3 Values &
> Units, this seems more clear. From Section 4.2.4 HSL color values: "This
> angle is so typically measured in degrees that the unit is implicit in
> CSS; syntactically, only a <number> is given." Since |<angle>| is its
> own type, |deg| is apparently excluded.

You write, "This angle is so typically measured in degrees that the
unit is implicit in CSS."

This is since it based on the absolute of mathematics is sRGB space.

Using #RGB notation and moving 4 steps per channel in sRGB space, we
have this maths.

24     = 24
18 x 2 = 36
12 x 3 = 36
6 x 4  = 24
1 x 5  = 5

24 + 36 + 36 + 24 + 5 = 125

5 x 5 x 5 = 125

Using #RGB notation and moving 5 steps per channel in sRGB space, we
have this maths.

30     = 30
24 x 2 = 48
18 x 3 = 54
12 x 4 = 48
6 x 5  = 30
1 x 6  = 6

30 + 48 + 54 + 48 + 30 + 6 = 216

6 x 6 x 6 = 216

This is how many colors appear in this test.

<http://css-class.com/test/css/colors/3d-color-prism-216-colors.htm>

Using #RRGGBB and using the full steps from 0 to 255, the outer ring
of sRGA space seen in the test above would have 256 colors. The
possible colors in such sRGB space including black which is the
absence of and red, green and blue is the sum of 256 cubed, which
equals 16,777,216.

So the outer ring of 256 colors is where we get our our 255 degrees or
the amount of steps to return to 0 or steps or different hue around a
perceived circle which is really tracing steps around a hexagon.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/