Re: [css4-color] #RGBA

From: Patrick Garies <w3c.www-style@patrick.garies.name>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 13:11:48 -0500
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Christoph P├Ąper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
  On 2010-09-06 12:43 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>  This needs to be cleared up, actually.  It's not at all clear what
>  the actual requirements are around the first argument.  The prose
>  just says that the deg unit is "implied".

After being informed that things are defined in terms of CSS3 Values &
Units, this seems more clear. From Section 4.2.4 HSL color values: "This
angle is so typically measured in degrees that the unit is implicit in
CSS; syntactically, only a <number> is given." Since |<angle>| is its
own type, |deg| is apparently excluded.

>  In CSS3 Values & Units, the <length> type says that its unit can be
>  omitted if the value is 0.  No other type says this, so no other
>  type gets to omit its unit.

Okay. That's pretty unintuitive, but makes sense. (I thought this was a
bug in Firefox until I found that four other browsers agree.)