Re: unchanged values status

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 10:12:10 -0700
To: Célian Veyssière <celian.veyssiere@yahoo.fr>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
2010/8/30 Célian Veyssière <celian.veyssiere@yahoo.fr>:
> unchanged values ?
>
> For example, with multiple backgrounds, multiple shadows, background position, etc., change only a value imposes to rewrite everything.
>
> Examples :
>
> a {
>  background-position: 0 0;
> }
> a:hover {
>  background-position: unchanged -50px;
> }
> a:visited {
>  background-position: unchanged -100px;
> }
>

> li {
>  text-shadow:0 0 1px white, 0 0 1px white, 0 0 5px black, 0 0 5px black;
> }
> li:hover {
>  text-shadow:0 0 1px blue, 0 0 2px unchanged, unchanged, unchanged;
> }

Typically, this is solved by breaking up the components into
subproperties, when we consider it sufficiently worthwhile to do so.
(Every property that exists imposes a memory cost on pages, so we try
not to be *too* profligate with them.)

In the case of properties that take multiple comma separated values,
we definitely need a syntax for targetting only a particular item from
that list.  That would make it a lot easier to, for example, change
just a single background layer or a single text-shadow.