Proposal for CSS3.5

From: Alexander Shpack <shadowkin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 19:27:44 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
Hello!

Sorry for my bad English.

Multiple backgrounds is unusual, because you can't change only one
preference, in example packground-position, for only one of
positioning list.

..oneClass {
background-image: url(one.png), url(two.png), url(three.png);
}

I need to create other class .twoClass and I will change only one image

..twoClass {
background-image: url(one.png), url(other.png), url(three.png);
}

I must write all params again. On other side, working with multiple
params via DOM will need complex code with string parsing.

My proposal is simple: local css defines

Let's write next code

$bgOne { background: url(one.png) no-repeat top left; }
$bgTwo { background: url(two.png) no-repeat top right; }
$bgThree { background: url(three.png) no-repeat bottom right; }

And use it via background: $bgOne, $bgTwo, $bgThree;

In this case my proposals seems like no different. But, on other side, when
we use DOM, we can change only one value
node.style.background.values("bgTwo").backgroundImage = 'other.png';

Let's change declaration of background property
background-image[$bgTwo]: url(other.png);

What do you think about it?