Re: 'initial' | 'inherit' inconsistency

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 17:23:33 -0700
Cc: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>, "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>

On Oct 29, 2010, at 11:39 AM, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> So as far as I'm concerned, 'initial' is an ignored experiment, and
> not worth teaching to web authors.

That's a good point. I don't know when I am ever expected to use it, or what it is good for. Why would I ever write 'padding:initial' instead of 'padding:0'? It's just more typing, with possibly less certain results if I don't know the initial value and don't want to look it up. Now if there was a keyword to reset an element to what the UA stylesheet had for it, that could be useful.