Re: colspan and rowspan in xml + css?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:08:39 -0700
To: Raffaello Giulietti <raffaello.giulietti@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 6:04 AM, Raffaello Giulietti
<raffaello.giulietti@gmail.com> wrote:
> I unsuccessfully tried to figure out a pure xml + css approach to
> emulate html tables' colspan and rowspan.
>
> My sources of informations are the css 2.1 spec and HÃ¥kon and Bert's
> book in its 3rd edition.
>
> Is it possible at all without resorting to x/html itself (with has its
> own limits) or xsl (which is too complex for the context I'm working in)?
> I've got the impression that I miss something really hard or really
> trivial :-(

Unfortunately, no, you can't do rowspans or colspans in CSS right now.
 It's a somewhat strange oversight in my opinion, but I don't know if
there was a good reason at the time for it.

That's the sort of thing that would almost certainly be in a Table
Layout module, once we write one.