colspan and rowspan in xml + css?

From: Raffaello Giulietti <raffaello.giulietti@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:04:55 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
I unsuccessfully tried to figure out a pure xml + css approach to
emulate html tables' colspan and rowspan.

My sources of informations are the css 2.1 spec and HÃ¥kon and Bert's
book in its 3rd edition.

Is it possible at all without resorting to x/html itself (with has its
own limits) or xsl (which is too complex for the context I'm working in)?
I've got the impression that I miss something really hard or really
trivial :-(

Regards
Raffaello Giulietti