Re: [css3-text] text-transform: han-numerals

From: Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:16:46 +0900
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
CC: "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>, www-international@w3.org, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On 2010/10/27 2:00, fantasai wrote:

> For anyone who wants to do something more complicated, then more markup
> support is needed. But even then, HTML+CSS can do it:
>
> <abbr class="number" title="三十五">35</abbr>
>
> vertical.css:
> abbr.number { content: attr(title) }

I understand how this will display the title attribute when in vertical
mode. But I'm not sure how at the same time you can hide "35". If you
say display: none, then none of the element, i.e. not even the title,
will be displayed, or not?

> So I don't really see this issue as a problem. Also, I think it is not
> a showstopper if numbers cannot be converted from the preferred form
> for vertical to the preferred form for horizontal: it might not adhere
> to the full force of typographic tradition, but using decimal digits
> in vertical is neither wrong nor uncommon.

Yes. I think it would be better to go back to the Japanese experts (and
of course also Chinese,...) and get some detailed input from them about
variations in practice between vertical and horizontal writing, to make
sure that we provide automatic features where we may hit an 80% case,
but not for those cases that occur really rarely.

Regards,   Martin.