Re: [css3-text] text-transform: han-numerals

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 02:03:46 -0400
To: "MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given)" <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, www-international@w3.org, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
2010/10/27 MURATA Makoto (FAMILY Given) <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>:
[...]
>>  But even then, HTML+CSS can do it:
>>
>>    <abbr class="number" title="三十五">35</abbr>
>>
>> vertical.css:
>>    abbr.number { content: attr(title) }
>
> and Hacon's span elements combined with display:none look fine to me.

Yes, they normally do. But they don't fall back correctly if for any
reason CSS is not available. (There are a few possibilities. Using a
text-mode browser is one. Selecting "No style" in Firefox is another.
There could be more, and the fact that there could be more is not a
reassuring thought.)

Two spans combined with display: none, when CSS is not available, falls back to

35三十五

which is clearly incorrect. Therefore, from a content point of view,
fantasai's solution is better.

(This is really a little OT here, but I feel I still should explain this.)

--
cheers,
-ambrose