>> Also sprach Alex Mogilevsky:
>>
>>  > I think it is
>>  >
>>  > (D)
>>  > foo | foo | foo | bar
>>  >       baz
>>  > qux
>>  >
>>  > (as in your option A, but "qux" should be in the first column)
>>
>> We agree on the model, I believe. Are you ok with specifying this
>> behaviour in css3-multicol?
>
> I read the whole discussion, and I am leaning towards I don't agree with
> any of it. :D
>
> Just because we are unwilling to span the columns that precede an element,
> we are causing ugly results that have near 0 semantic correlation (more
> like aliasing noise) to what the designer intended.
>
> One thing I avoid to do is design something in parts, that requires it be
> designed as a whole and correctly from the beginning. Sometimes we need to
> not take shortcuts to rush out implementation.
>
> 'foo' is really per Håkon's original example, a set of words and thus
> spannable.
>
> So in my and I think the designer's mind, the correct result is:
>
> Inline overflow:
>  baz----------------------->
>  foo | foo | foo | bar | qux
>
> Block overflow:
>  baz------------->
>  foo | foo | foo |
>  bar | qux
>
> Now isn't that a lot more sane and consist?
>
> Note it is incorrect to assume baz is centered, that is why I drew it as I
> did on the left side with an arrow showing its extent.

Correction.

Block overflow:
 foo | foo | foo
 baz----------->
 bar | qux

Now assume bar is before baz, and both bar and qux are half as tall as
foo, so then:

Inline overflow:
 f   | f   | f   | bar
 baz----------------->
 oo  | oo  | oo  | qux

Block overflow:
 f   | f   | f
 oo  | oo  | oo
 bar
 qux

Just a lot more sane to make {column-span:all} mean all.

The only time I would shrink 'all' to avoid overflow, is when
{overflow:hidden}