RE: [css3-transitions] shorthand/longhand handling in transition property

From: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 22:19:50 +0000
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

Right. My example is meant to be a logical representation of what happens.
In the b) case it's meant to convey that two separate transitions are running
on border-right-width instead of the one resolved by the duplicate rule.

> if you want to think of
> the processing model in terms of expansion and conversion of
> property values (which is probably not the best idea), you go
> through both stages:  the shorthand expands to all four of its
> subproperties (so it's like b), but then one of those subproperties
> is ignored (so it's like a) because it's overridden by a later
> occurrence.

Yes. A) is the result of collapsing the two duplicates in b). The spec
seems pretty clear but given that existiing implementations appeared to
disagree I thought it was worth clarifying. An example involving a shorthand/
longhand pair may be helpful here.