Re: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:20:11 -0700
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: shelby@coolpage.com, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
> Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:
>  > What if there is normal content between the column-breaking elements
>  > and the column-spanning element?  Would this create a new column row
>  > just for that content (with the content balanced across the columns),
>  > followed by a new column row for the spanning element?
> A new column would be created for the normal content if the preceding
> element has "break-after: column" set (but not if it only has
> "break-before: column").

I'm not entirely sure this answers my question, but it might.  Let me
give an example to make sure.

Given this markup:

<h1 column-span:all text-align:center>baz</h1>

Where would "bar" show up? (Given a column-count:3 on the containing element.)

Would it be like any of the following?

|-- container---|

foo | foo | foo | bar

foo | foo | foo | bar
                | qux

foo | foo | foo
bar |
qux |

>  > It seems like perhaps this feature (column spanners in overflow
>  > columns still showing up in the main area) should instead be a
>  > function of the column-overflow mode.  With 'column-overflow:inline',
>  > overflow column spanners don't span at all.  With
>  > 'column-overflow:block', they do span, in the way you describe.
> Yes, 'column-overflow' when/if defined, could provide control over
> this. But we need to define what the rendering should be even without
> 'column-overflow'.

Oh, I agree.  I was suggesting that we may want to kick the particular
behavior you're suggesting to later, and for now stick with the
behavior that Alex was suggesting.