Re: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:24:48 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: shelby@coolpage.com, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:

 > >   columns: 3
 > >
 > >   AAAAA BBBBB CCCCD
 > >   spanning element
 > >   DDDDD EEEEE FFFFF
 > >   spanning element
 > >   GGGGG HHHHH JJJJJ
 > >
 > > It seems compelling to me.
 >
 > That seems compelling to me as well, but I still have questions.
 > Presumably this only occurs when there is still space left in the
 > element, right?  That is, it would only occur if the overflow columns
 > are due to column breaks, not normal overflow (as that only happens
 > when there's a constrained height and the content fills that height).

Yes.

 > What if there is normal content between the column-breaking elements
 > and the column-spanning element?  Would this create a new column row
 > just for that content (with the content balanced across the columns),
 > followed by a new column row for the spanning element?

A new column would be created for the normal content if the preceding
element has "break-after: column" set (but not if it only has
"break-before: column").

 > It seems like perhaps this feature (column spanners in overflow
 > columns still showing up in the main area) should instead be a
 > function of the column-overflow mode.  With 'column-overflow:inline',
 > overflow column spanners don't span at all.  With
 > 'column-overflow:block', they do span, in the way you describe.

Yes, 'column-overflow' when/if defined, could provide control over
this. But we need to define what the rendering should be even without
'column-overflow'.

-h&kon