Re: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 20:48:50 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: shelby@coolpage.com, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>, www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Tab Atkins Jr.:

 > > However, if we specify that 'column-span: all' in an overflow area
 > > just takes the element back in, underneath the content that has
 > > already been laid out, and stretches across the columns inside the
 > > multicol box, it seems doable. No?
 >
 > What happens to content following the overflowing spanner?  Still
 > overflowed?

In my mind (which may differ from others), I'd start laying out
content in normal column underneath the spanning element. Like this:

   columns: 3

   AAAAA BBBBB CCCCD
   spanning element
   DDDDD EEEEE FFFFF

As such, the spanning element is a useful way of avoiding horizonal
scrolling to reach wide overflows. Also, it looks more like what you
would get on a printed page.

 > What if there's a colspanning element, some normal
 > content, then another colspanning element, all in the overflow area?

   columns: 3

   AAAAA BBBBB CCCCD
   spanning element
   DDDDD EEEEE FFFFF