Re: [css3-multicol] spanning elements

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:50:06 -0700
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@microsoft.com> wrote:
> [...]

I consider that aspect of floats rather unfortunate, actually.  I've
wanted my float margins to collapse with other floats rooted to the
same element quite a lot, actually, and usually have to hack around
this lack with classes.

For example, if I just want the same separate between floats as
between the float and the border of the container, I have to twiddle
the margins, otherwise the between-float space will be twice as big.

So, I'd prefer to make spanning elements collapse margins in the way
that Hakon describes, as it seems sane and useful.