Re: [css3-writing-modes] a third option for implementing logical properties

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:28:56 +0200
To: "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>, "John Daggett" <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
Cc: HÃ¥kon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, www-style@w3.org, "Yasuo Kida" <kida@apple.com>
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:20:41 +0200, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
wrote:
> Mainly because this isn't really something related to a given media
> type, it's effectively a browser capability test.  I'm sure it's
> possible to implement it with MQ but it feels incongruent.

Media Queries are testing capabilities of the device. Given how close the
device and browser are I think for features that have a major impact on
your style sheet it does make sense to have a media query of some kind.
I.e. I think we should probably have them for vertical layout support,
transforms, 3D transforms, and touch input. And maybe some other things I
have forgotten.

Another reason for this is that Media Queries is what we have and they are
easy to extend. Adding a separate mechanism for choosing style sheets
based on browser capabilities is not really worth it.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/