Re: Issue 101 Resolution

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:19:57AM -0700, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> New rule 3 text (I overcorrected for "outer edge"):
> | The right outer edge of a left-floating box may not
> | be to the right of the left outer edge of any
> | right-floating box that is to the right of it and
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This retains the issue that "box to the right of it" is unclear (to the
point that Anton Prowse and I differed in our interpretations).

I don't object to leaving that for a separate issue, but it's certainly
something that needs to be defined precisely given that there are multiple
reasonable interpretations, and the most obvious implementation wouldn't
have the behaviour I think we want for negative-height floats.

> | whose left outer edge is to the left of the
> | left-floating box's containing block's right edge.

A number of the float-related rules use phrases like "must be below" or "must
be to the right of" when they actually (presumably) mean "... or level with".

Thus, there are reasonable grounds for considering "to the left of" to be
ambiguous as to whether it includes the equality case, particularly for what
still seems a somewhat arbitrary rule (not exactly matching "place it
anywhere that doesn't overlap" whether we interpret it as < or ≤), so
I suggest clarifying one way or another: e.g. if it really means to the
left of then prepend "(strictly)", otherwise I think "not to the right of"
is just about good enough that a reader would be confident enough that it
really means it.

Have we tested implementation behaviour for the case where the left-floating
box is wider than its containing block?  The proposed change as currently
written would allow that left float to overlap right floats in some cases.

(I was delaying sending this message so that I could check implementations,
but I'm still a bit busy with other things; and from the little I did test,
I got the impression that the proposed rule doesn't exactly match what all
implementations are doing anyway.)

> | Analogous rules hold for right-floating elements.

Are we sure that it's clear enough what each of these "analogous rules" are?
E.g. should we make each occurrence of "analogous" a hyperlink to a paragraph
along the lines

  | The "analogous" rule in each case above is formed by changing each
  | occurrence of the word "right" to "left" and each occurrence of the
  | word "left" to "right".

perhaps even followed by either one or all such resulting "analagous" rules?

> New rule 7 text (slightly cleaner):
> | A left-floating box that has another left-floating
> | box to its left, where the latter box's right edge
This is one of the cases where we do want to specify "outer".

> | is to the right of the former box's containing
Again I suggest inserting "(strictly)" if that is the intended meaning.

(Whereas I think "may not have its ... edge to the right of" below is fine
as is.)

pjrm.