Re: [css3-writing-modes] a third option for implementing logical properties

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:05:41 -0500
Cc: www-style@w3.org
To: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp> (FAMILY Given)
Logical properties were trivial to implement in WebKit.  I know that we risk introducing a large number of additional properties if we go this route, but the cost of implementing them and maintaining them is extremely low.  It took very few lines of code to add all of these logical properties to the WebKit engine.  The code to resolve them to physical properties is even shared.

I still think they're the best solution that has been proposed for producing a layout that can work in both the horizontal and vertical directions.  We would probably need to introduce logical properties for border-radius, and then decide what happens with overflow, border-spacing, and shadows, but that does cover pretty much everything.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)