Re: [css3-multicol] new editor's draft

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Also sprach Shelby Moore:
>
>  > >   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0492.html
>  >
>  > I am thinking that I strongly disagree with the chosen rendering, but I
> am
>  > open to being swayed by logic:
>  >
>  > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/att-0492/image001.png
>  >
>  > It seems to me that the designer had given a directive to span all
>  > columns, and so they should do that, unless the overflow they cause by
>  > doing so, would be hidden, i.e. {overflow:hidden}.
>  >
>  > Is that an arbitrary choice you have made to violate the designer's
>  > directive? For what benefit do you put this tsuris on the designer?
>
> The decision was made by the Working Group and my role, as editor, is
> to implement the WG's decision. I'm not sure the WG wants to reopen
> the issue. If you feel strongly about it, you may want to start by
> convincing Alex.

I will leave it to Alex's discretion. Alex perhaps if have time you might
ponder my point and see if it sways you, which is I think we should
minimize text that would be hidden, and respecting the designer's decision
otherwise. Please see my prior post for details. I am probably not aware
of some factor that caused you to choose a different tradeoff.

[snip]

>  > Håkon Wium Lie, did you forget to address the other part of my prior
> post
>  > about "multicol content box" versus "column rows"?
>  >
>  > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Oct/0564.html
>  >
>  > Or was that point not worthy?
>
> In the editing process, I have read through all your messages. If you
> still disagree with text, you're welcome to put forward concrete
> change proposals.
>
> It seems, though, that your proposals are editorial at this point.
> Perhaps it would be better to channel your writing capacity into a new
> document, under your control, which can explain multi-column layout in
> your own terms?

Point accepted.

>  > P.S. sorry to be a pain, but I think I have some insight to give on
>  > columns given I wrote a popular WYSIWYG document processor in mid-1980s
>  > (WordUp on Atari ST, written almost entirely in 68000 assembly, yuk!)
> that
>  > did late binding on rendering flow (ala Ventura Publisher) and then
>  > actually ended up working with Lee Lorenzen the creator of Ventura
>  > Publisher on his Altura Mac -> Windows porting layer when I worked
> Fractal
>  > Design on Painter (the one that came in a paint can and is Corel
> Painter
>  > now).
>
> Wow, lots of history in there :)
>
> My own upbringing was in FrameMaker 1.2.

I remember the product vaguely something about being technically superior,
but I was obvious to many things at that time that in hindsight I wish I
had understood the significance of at the time.