Re: [CSS21] 10.1: Issues with "containing block"

From: Peter Moulder <peter.moulder@monash.edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:11:53 +1100
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 07:13:55AM +1100, I wrote:

>  - In rule 4, there needs to be some clarification of what the "ancestor" is.
>    Evidently it's something that can generate multiple boxes, which suggests
>    that it really is talking about an ancestor element rather than box,

I wrote up these "containing block" issues before I had noticed the recent
publication of the editors' draft.  The only change between what I was
looking at and the just-published editors' draft is that rule 4 (containing
block for position:absolute) changes "[If] the ancestor is inline-level" to
"[If] the ancestor is an inline box", which would appear to make it clear that
it's talking about box tree ancestry; but the change makes it all the stranger
that the text goes on to talk about first and last boxes that this ancestor
generates: as far as I know, boxes aren't considered to generate boxes.

pjrm.