Re: @font-face and slow downloading

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 11:50:49 -0700
Cc: "Belov, Charles" <Charles.Belov@sfmta.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Yuzo Fujishima <yuzo@google.com>

On Oct 22, 2010, at 0:22 , Yuzo Fujishima wrote:

> Hi, David,
>
> Sorry if I was unclear.
>
> I think the temporary substitute and the permanent fallback should be the same if possible.
>
> Put differently, I think the temporary substitute should be the same font as the font that
> is used when all downloads failed.
>
> Yuzo

Hi, no problem.  We already have syntax for fallback, so we can document that it can also be used as a 'temporary' substitute (with no formal definition of how long temporary can be).

So, should the specification say that "when a downloaded font is used in a stylesheet, a local fallback font must (should?) also be specified, and that the fallback font may be used by the UA when/while the downloaded font is unavailable.  It is (strongly?) recommended that the fallback font(s) have 'as similar metrics as possible' to the downloaded font, so that, if the page is first rendered with a fallback and later with the downloaded font, the degree of visual change, re-layout etc., is as small as possible."

David Singer